YSL Touche Eclat vs. L'Oréal Lumi Magique

10:00

How are you doing lovelies?

Today I want do a drugstore vs. high end kind of post, because I do have something to say about these two products. It's the Lumi Magique highlighting pen in the shade 1 (light) and the Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat in the shade 2.







A lot of people use the Touche Eclat as a undereye concealer, but it's actually more of a highlighter than a concealer. I use both these products OVER my concealer, to brighten certain parts of my eyes and my face.

A lot of people consider the l'Oréal Lumi Magique a dupe for the YSL Touche Eclat. They are similar in use and promise the same thing. They are both liquid highlighters that a lot of people tend to use as a concealer.

I find the two shades that I have -shade 1 for the Lumi Magique and shade 2 for the Touche Eclat- very similar colours. They both have a pink undertone to them and are very light, therefore very highlighting.


Now. I started to use the Lumi Magique first. I was very satisfied with it, it does what it promises: it highlights certain area's and it's very easy to use. You turn the bottom of the pen to get some product out of the pen into the brush (first time using it, you need to turn around a lot to get some product out of it, afterwards you can click 3 or 4 times and that should be enough for your entire under eye area). It instantly brightens up your skin. I have loved it so far and I couldn't say a bad word about it.


However, not too long ago, I purchased the YSL Touche Eclat. I heard a lot about this and wanted to try this for myself. I'm very pleased with this product. The colour works very well on my skin. This one works kind of the same, only here you have to click the bottom of the pen to get product out. (Again, first use, you need to click a couple of times before product comes out, afterwards just 1 click is enough.) I would have preferred if it worked the same as the Lumi Magique, where you have to turn the cap to click, because my Touche Eclat has already caused some trouble by hitting the clicker accidentally while I'm using it, or carrying it around in my make up bag. You don't want to have a clump of product on your brush because it just hit something inside your bag.

I find the consistency of this product is a bit more gentle than the Lumi Magique. It applies better and doesn't make the brush all caked up. It might be the brush itself that's responsible for this, I don't know. But it feels like after a while, the product of the Lumi Magique sticks to the brush too much and it doens't feel as nice as the YSL applicator. 

If you look on the picture down here, you'll see that the colours are quite similar. The Lumi Magique in 1 (light) is slightly more pink than the YSL one. On my hand you see a stroke of the l'Oréal on the left and a stroke of the YSL on the right.



Another thing I noticed is that the Touche Eclat has more coverage to it. You don't need as much product with that one to highlight your under eye area. With the Lumi Magique, I need do do several strokes to become the same effect and to actually see the product do it's work.

Last thing about these two products is the smell. The Lumi Magique smells a bit like paint, I think. It makes me think about my arts class in the past, when i needed to clean all the paint brushes out and it just gave this strong painty smell. If you start paying attention to this smell, you actually get this feeling like "I'm smearing cosmetics on my face." I don't know if that makes any sense to you guys, haha, but the YSL one has less of a artificial smell. It's more neutral, I guess.

SO: is the Lumi Magique a dupe for the Touche Eclat? Nope.
Overall, l'Oréal Lumi Magique is GREAT if you're not a big spender. It's still quite expensive in comparison to other highlighters or concealers, so if you have a concealer that's a lighter shade than your skin, it might do the same for you and you can buy a cheaper one. But if you have some spare money and you really want to invest, the YSL is worth it in my opinion. I kind of need that little extra coverage for my dark circles. It will last you longer because you don't need as much product. Both of these products are wonderful, only one is more expensive and slightly better.

U.S.:

Europe:


Thanks for reading! Let me know: do you have any of these two products? 
What do you think of them?

Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




You Might Also Like

2 reacties

  1. I just recently bought the YSL Touche Eclat for under eye dark circles. I was surprised that it didn't have as much coverage. I think I'm just struggling to figure out HOW it is supposed to be worn. Over concealer? Under?

    Anyway, loved reading your review of it. I'm a bit of a moron when it comes to makeup!

    V
    Life+1

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I was a total disaster too! But I've been watching youtube tutorials and other videos about make up products for the past 2 years now, so just be patient! It will grow on you!

      I apply concealer first, and then use this one to highlight afterwards. If my dark circles aren't too bad, I use it on it's own. I think I used it in my NYE Party Look post, which was actually my second post on this blog. http://charlinehasablog.blogspot.be/2015/01/nye-party-look.html

      I just filmed a make up routine that goes on my blog on monday (hopefully), where I use it over my Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer ;-)

      It's just trial and error, really. You can watch a thousand videos or read a thousand of blog posts on this product where everyone uses it the same way, but it might not work for your specific skin type. I've experienced this a lot with different products. Just try to do it different every time, and see what works! ;-) It's a gorgeous product so don't let it go to waste!

      Good luck x
      Charline

      Verwijderen