Make Up Series: #3 Concealers

10:00

Hey everyone!

I have shown you a trip down memory lane before, when I talked about my eyeliners and my mascaras.

Today I wanted to talk about my concealer history.

Back in the days when I was only using Mac Studio Fix as a foundation and wasn't that into other make up yet, I felt that after a while, just a powder foundation wasn't cutting it anymore. I really wanted to cover up my blemishes because they made me feel so uncomfortable. I went in to a Mac store and asked what I could use along with my Studio Fix. They told me to put the Select Cover-Up on my spots, before I put on the Studio Fix powder foundation. For a really long time, this has been my daily make up routine, along with just a mascara and a blush sometimes. I think I must have been 15 or 16 years old at that time.


After starting to use the Mac Select Cover-Up concealer for more than a year and after starting University, I was having late nights to finish my projects, I started suffering from dark circles and bags under my eyes. I didn't feel like the Select Cover-Up was right to do this, so I went to the Benefit counter - because yes, I really liked Benefit a lot in an early stage and at this point, my mom would still occasionally buy me some make up and didn't mind it being a bit more expensive - and they gave me the Fake Up concealer stick. It's made especially for the under eye-area. It's shaped like a lipstick and has concealer in the centre with a hydrating formula around it. I used it for a long time, because I didn't really know where to look for a better one. I don't use it anymore because, well, it wasn't ideal; I have got a lot of fine lines around my eyes (already) and this product would just crease during the day, let me tell you it wasn't a good look. (These past few days I have been using it again but this time I would set it with a powder - something I didn't really do at the time. It works great for me now! It has good coverage so I'm kind of re-discovering it.)

I wasn't into YouTube or reading blogs back then. But as soon as the whole blogging community became a part of my life, I started discovering new brands and products and read a lot of recommendations.


I can't believe it was only last year that I picked these two concealers up. When I was in London - because I can't get these two here in Belgium - I finally was able to pick up the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer and the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer. These were and still are very raved about and I really had to try them out. The Rimmel one is not my favourite, but I sometimes use it underneath my eyes, not so much on blemishes. That's where the Collection ones comes in. It has such a high coverage, it's unbelievable, and it would actually stay in place most of the day! Something I didn't really experience with the Mac Select Cover Up I showed earlier. This stuff is amazing and so very cheap! I just knew I had to get a spare bottle as soon as I was back in the UK.


The highlighting part of the concealers did not really get to me until, let's say, last summer. I did hear a lot about the l'Oréal Lumi Magique pen and I decided to give it a go. I used it instead of an under eye concealer, because I thought it would have a little bit of coverage, but that wasn't really the case. I figured that one out when I decided to buy the high end version of it a few months later, which is the YSL Touche Eclat. I do think this one has a bit of coverage, but not as much as a regular concealer. When my dark circles aren't too bad, I only put on this product, without a concealer underneath. If they are really bad, I will layer it up with the Rimmel Wake Me Up first. I love this product and it has lasted me for such a long time already. I did a comparison post on the Lumi Magique and the Touche Eclat so if you want to read that, click here.


I bought the Hema Concealer Stick for the €20 make up challenge I did on my blog. I'm not going to say too much about it because it was just plain rubbish. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for the challenge.


The last one I picked up a month or two ago is the Maybelline Fit Me concealer. I felt like the Collection Lasting Perfection was starting to get a drying effect on my skin, especially around my nose. This one is a bit creamier and not drying at all! It does have slightly less coverage, but if I need a really heavy coverage, I will mix it in with my Collection concealer. I do really like the structure of this product.


For future reference: I was planning on picking up the Nars Creamy Concealer this summer when I'm back in London, but that was before I heard about the Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer. I've heard it's slightly better than the Nars one. I would like to try out both but I don't have the money for it, as I'm planning to pick up a lot more while I'm there!



When did you start getting into concealers? Let me know in the comments if you have any other recommendations as well!
What do you want me to do next in this series? What are you most curious about?

Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Charline Has a Blog

You Might Also Like

12 reacties

  1. I would definitely love to try the MAC foundation


    CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. You mean the Select Cover-Up concealer? Or the Studio Fix powder foundation I mentioned? :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. AH meant the select cover up - it looked like a foundation hehehe It looks awesome - i have yet to try any MAC products

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Yeah I haven't tried a lot of the face products yet, I always read mixed reviews on them... I think Mac is sort of a hit and miss when it comes to foundations and concealers... The eyeshadows and pencils are really great though! And their lip products are very popular as well ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I'd definitely recommend the UD Naked concealer for both under eyes & blemishes and have heard great things about the Clarins Instant Concealer! xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I definitely want to try either the NARS or the UD concealer! Some great picks here. I love using a peachy corrector for under eyes too, check out Benefit and Bobbi Brown :)

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. It's so weird that I only got into concealer properly over the last year because of developing acne, but I think it's now one of my most used and loved elements of makeup! I used to use the Select Cover-up from MAC too but was matched totally wrong for my skin tone so threw it away recently. I'd like to try the UD Naked Skin concealer too - waiting to graduate so I can go on a spending spree haha! Love these posts of yours by the way, they make me feel super-nostalgic!
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Yeah the UD concealer sound a bit more like an overall great concealer, but then again so does the Nars one so hahaha :) can't decide

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Ooh yeah I've heard a lot about the Bobbi Brown correcting concealers! x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Well that's kind of why I do it too, out of pure nostalgia ;) there are not a lot of products I throw away, but when I do these posts, I can do a little clear out afterwards. I kind of want to do an eyeshadow one after this, because I still own a lot of old palettes and stuff so maybe I can toss them after I do that post ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. I wish I'd gotten into concealer earlier as a few years ago i was using my finger to pack powder onto my skin to cover up spots! I'm so glad that I finally stopped doing that. I'm in love with the Rimmel and Collection concealers you mentioned but I have been thinking about trying the L'Oreal one for some time.
    http://toastoclock.blogspot.co.uk/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. yeah it's something I got into way too late ;) I'm so glad I've got these different ones to serve different purposes !

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen