I changed my mind... | Maybelline Lash Sensational

10:00

Hey everyone!

I have something to confess... I really judged this one way to soon.
It all started with the Benefit Roller Lash sample. When I used that one, I really disliked it. I'm usually not a fan of plastic wands and I always manage to poke myself in the eye with it, the formula makes my lashes clump together and I can't seem to separate them with the wand. I was so disappointed by it, but still I picked up the Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara, which released around that same time and I bought for a flippin' 17 euros. I figured I would like this one a lot more, since Maybelline mascaras are my all time favourite ones. I really wanted to see if it was similar to the Benefit Roller Lash, because I thought the wand looked pretty similar and this would still be a cheaper option, instead of buying the full sized Roller Lash for 25 euros.


 Now when I tested it out, I was sceptical about the plastic wand and I really didn't like how wet the formulation was. Same thing as the Roller Lash, I thought it was hard to get off in the evening, I think it's a waterproof formula, although it doesn't say anywhere. I don't really use waterproof formulas so that's another reason why I didn't like it at first. I even included this mascara in my disappointing products post!

I did however force myself  to keep on using it as I actually payed for this one and I wouldn't want it to go to waste without using for a bit. And thank god I did. I started to learn how to use it better, so that it would separate my lashes beautifully and I wouldn't poke myself in the eye. I just wasn't used to a wand like that and needed a bit of training to know how to use it well.


As you can see it's a slightly curved wand with short bristles (is that the right word for a plastic wand? I don't know) on the inner curve and longer bristles on the outer curve. At first I used to put the mascara on my top lashes with the inner side, which wasn't the right way, I learned afterwards. It separated my lashes so much better with the opposite side! I do use the small bristles to get to my lower lashes, they are just the right shape to lay it on smoothly.


It's supposed to curl the lashes without having to use a lash curler, like the Roller Lash, but I still think it works best when I curl them real quick. It's a habit of mine to do that, but it doesn't need much. For a natural look, I leave the curler on for one or two seconds and I only curl them at the very base. Then I apply the mascara and usually two ore three strokes are more than enough. I never add a second coat, because that usually makes my lashes clump together, something I really don't want them to do!

As for the staying power: it's amazing! Like I said earlier, I think it's a waterproof formula, which makes it harder to get off in the evening, but it's still a lot easier to take off than the Benefit one. It holds my curl during the day which I love! It's really become one of my favourite mascaras.


So, lesson of the day: don't speak too soon. Try the new product out for a couple of weeks and let it grow on you. We all make mistakes!

This mascara is available at Boots for £7.99, at Ulta for $8.99 and at bol.com for €15,95.

Have you tried it? What do you think of it? And do you prefer the Benefit Roller Lash, or the Maybelline Lash Sensational?


Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

24 reacties

  1. really need a new mascara going to have to give this ago <3 really good you carried on using it!

    Chloe xx
    http://chloebee1.blogspot.co.uk

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. This mascara looks good!
    xx
    www.theblackblush.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I hate Roller Lash, I just gave it away to a friend the other day ;) I'm so glad this one really works for me after all!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. This is actually my favourite drugstore mascara and perhaps my all-time favourite.. I'm glad it grew on you! Personally I like it more than Roller Lash! xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I really want to try this mascara.

    xoxo,

    atwednesdaysiwearpink.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I've actually never tried any of the MaxFactor mascaras... I've just always loved Maybelline ones so I don't try a lot of others ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I am yet to try this mascara but I have read SO much about it! It sounds like a great drugstore option. i'm usually using my CT mascara but recently I've fallen back in love with Max Factor's mascaras!


    Jasmine | jasminehardingmakeup.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. It already does hold it really good so I am quite curious about the waterproof one ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. they have the same prices for Belgium ;) it's something to do with import costs probably ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Ooh, I'm glad to hear that you managed to make this one work for you! I was not at all a fan of the Benefit Roller Lash, so I may have to try this one out. The waterproof version too since those always seem to hold a curl better!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. They are all quite pricey over here: Bourjois, Maybelline, l'Oréal... It sucks right !

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. Can you order from Feel Unique? Should be less expensive?! xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. I haven't tried this, but can't believe you had to pay €17 for a drugstore mascara! xx

    Beautylymin

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. Yeah I think I just don't use the right make up remover :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. I love this mascara, and I actually don't find it that difficult to remove compared to my waterproof mascaras, and I really love it!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. I think it's important to always give them at least a few tries. Especially with products like foundation, concealer, eyeshadow... I don't do this enough but I think we should all try them out with/without primer, with/without a powder on top, applied with a brush/sponge/hands, and so on. A certain technique might make it work so don't give up on it after the first try ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. Thanks for sharing Charline - this just made me want to rather tests products a white before posting a review about them - thanks for being honest

    CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  18. Thanks! Let me know when you do what you think about it ;) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  19. I think this is a really great post to do to explain how your thoughts about a product have changed over time. Thanks for the tips will check this mascara out!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen