Things I've learnt since beauty blogging

10:00

Hey gorgeous!
How have you been?

I've been blogging for just over 6 months now and I figured it was time to just chat with you lovely people about what I've learnt about beauty blogging so far.



Photography is important, but a little goes a long way.
When I observe myself scrolling down on Bloglovin', I will very likely click on all the posts with the pretty pictures and only click posts with less great photography when I see an interesting product or title in it. It's a human thing and proves the 5-second-attention society we live in these days. I don't mean to offend anyone and I'm sure everyone who want their photos to look half decent are trying their best to do that with everything they've got. It's never a bad idea to invest in some key pieces though and they don't have to cost much. I already owned a DSLR before I started blogging which thank god helped me improve my photography very quickly. I just bought a big white carton board for a couple of euros in the school's store when I read a tip on how to cancel out those shadows. I don't really need those fancy lights as long as I can work with cheap alternatives. The more you invest in equipment, the better your pics wil ultimately look but through experimenting with my camera, natural light and free editing programs I improved a whole lot already! 7 months ago I was already worrying about having to buy a decent tripod and studio lights so people would actually click on my blog. Luckily that wasn't the case!


Planning out posts gives you a clear oversight on what you need to search, buy, photograph and write.
I mean, all future posts that I can create with products I have laying around or don't need anything else for, I will write as soon as I have the time and inspiration for it. Don't feel like you need to buy new products to talk about before you can write a new post. Try to be creative with what you have. It's a mistake I made in the first two months or so of writing my blog. I thought people would never be interested if I didn't come up with the latest releases. Make up looks are great for using products you have laying around and that's why I like doing them so much.


Always take pictures of new products before you start using them.
This is one of the reasons why you should plan out purchases and posts. If you want to do like a collective haul in a month, just take a picture of the inside of the product (blush or eyeshadow) before you swatch it or use it. Or maybe just have a bit of courage and wait just a bit longer to start using it so it will still look nice in the picture. Obviously it's not possible to keep it that way over the next posts you want to do, but just keep in mind that maybe you want to review this product one day. If you have the pics of the non-used product saved up somewhere, you can use those in the post. I learned the hard way when I did a review on the Color Tattoos in a very early stage of my blog. Those photos actually turned out so much better than I expected and they were the first ones I was actually proud of. Although they still look too dark, they do look pretty sharp and I just started using the little stones to fill up the empty spaces in my pics.

I don't know if that's something people like? I've not been doing too much with the props lately, I just take clean bright pictures of the products I'll be talking about. What's your opinion on that? Do you like me adding the little crystals, stones or pearls to my product photos again or do you like them as they are lately, considering I don't have a lot of other fancy props like flowers etc. to add as props? I'd like to know what you think about that!


Don't judge too soon. Try out a new product in the comfort of your own home before wearing it out and give it time to grow on you.
I am someone to form an opinion pretty quick. If I don't like something straight away, I probably won't use it a second time. I made that mistake with the Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara which I talked about in this post. I forced myself to keep using it and now it's my go to mascara! I'd say to future-me: always try it out a first time at home so if it smudges or fades or creases, at least no one will see that ugliness happening without you even knowing. If it's okay after a day at home, the next step is keeping on wearing the product for a few days, trying out different ways and tools to apply it and just try to make it work. If you feel like you've tried everything to make it work and you still don't like it, THAT's the point where you can judge and decide. Maybe at least give it a week or two, not just two days.



Is there anything you especially learnt through (beauty) blogging? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to read your thoughts!

Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

10 reacties

  1. I agree with all the things you said! I have been trying to improve my photography so much lately! Planning my posts also help me a lot! Your photography is great, btw!

    riitamacedo.blogspot.pt

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Very good point that photos draw in a person to your post! I was the same with that mascara, but since it has dried out it is great!

    Amy at Amy & More

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Haha that's so funny because I always thought the same thing before I started blogging myself! Like, how do they know if they haven't tried?? :D Or how people would plan a post and it's photography like that before they even touched it. Couldn't believe it! x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Photography is definitely something I've been working on and trying to improve on. I don't have a DSLR but make do. And I always took pictures of things as soon as I got them, whether or not I ever intended to post about it. I also wonder if non-bloggers reading the post ever wonder how I can know I liked or disliked something if the product looks untouched in the photo. I assume that most realise that the photo was taken prior to use, but still, it's a funny thought. :-)

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. That was lesson ONE I learnt. Hehe. a product always looks better when it's not used yet. Most of the times I will include it in a Haul anyways, but in case I don't, I always take separate photos too ;) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I also take a photograph of a product when it's brand new before I use it, just in case ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Oh you will, even after a few months ;) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. It's great finding out how much you actually enjoy something you never thought you would ;) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I really enjoyed reading this post and I've found what you've learned to be really helpful because as a new blogger I haven't had the chance to learn some of these for myself yet. x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. Great post, as a new blogger i've also learnt alot from blogging.

    I currently love blogging more than i thought i would.

    lisa | lisaxbeauty

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen