Nars Luminous Weightless foundation: review

10:00

Hey everyone!

So I recently bought the Nars Luminous Weightless foundation while I was in London. I was really intrigued by it and everyone was talking about it so I finally took the plunge! Let's see how I get on with it.


First of all I wanted someone to color match me so I wouldn't buy the wrong color. They matched me to Deauville which is the darkest of the 4 light shades. I think it's still slightly too dark for winter, but anyways. It matches my skin right now.


Packaging wise I adore it. I've always loved the look of Nars products and I think the glass bottle is drop dead gorgeous. It's not travel-friendly, but it looks stunning on top of my muji-drawers!
I love that it has a pump as well; I've heard many people complain about the Sheer Glow not having one and when they put a pump on it, the lid wouldn't fit on it anymore. I get why that can be a pain in the ass so I'm grateful this one just has a pump. One pump is usually enough for the whole face, as the lady at the counter said to me.

I tried multiple application methods for this one. Mainly because a brush didn't work all too great with this foundation. I almost regretted buying it, because I hate make up sponges. But I think it works best with this one, just because it's already quite a tacky mattifying foundation, and the damp sponge gives it a bit of dewiness and helps spreading it out better on my face. With a brush, I can hardly spread it out evenly on my entire face. So that's that sorted.

Do I love the formula? Not really, but I don't hate it either. I mean, it's great and all and the coverage is sheer but buildable to a medium coverage, but during the day it tends to cling to dry patches. It's also not as long-wearing as I hoped it to be.

I think when applied with the make up sponge, it sits on my skin quite well and it works good with powders on top. My bronzer blends in beautifully on top of it and my concealer as well; I never apply it with a damp sponge, but with this one I just tried sticking to the sponge and setting it with a spray, then following up with powder products (bronzer, blush and all that jazz).

Foundation only:


Full face of make up:


I tested it out for the first time a week before I went to Barcelona. A few days after, I started to break out massively. I will keep you updated if this foundation was the cause of it - but I really hope not 'cause it was expensive! - or if it was just something else.

Do I think it's similar to the l'Oréal Infallible 24H matte foundation? Yes and no. I can see why people were saying that because it's similar in finish, quite matte and that one also tends to cling to dry areas during the day, but the application and formulation of the l'Oréal one is completely different. The Nars Luminous Weightless foundation is very liquid while the l'Oréal is something between a liquid and a mousse, almost. I can't explain it really but it's just less runny than the Nars one. It also has more coverage after one layer and I can apply and spread it beautifully with a brush; it feels a lot softer on my skin, while the Nars one feels quite sticky almost right after I apply it.

I'm going to keep using this one to see which is the best way to apply it, but I'm kind of bummed I'm not more excited about it; I was so looking forward to trying this because it sounded like the perfect high end foundation for my skin type, and it's okay but not impressive or WOW. I think there are definitely better foundations, but because it was so damn expensive, I will try to make it work in the best way possible! (My mom also just told me late in the evening while I had been wearing this foundation for a whole day that it still looked pretty, so I guess that's one thumbs up then!)


Let me know if you have tried this one and how you get on with it!


Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

25 reacties

  1. Maybe it will work better in the winter? I hope so. :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. yeah well I'm oily combination too but I also have a lot of dry patches from my acne so yeah, I thought this one would be perfect for my oily skin, I guess I can use it best when I don't have a lot of dry patches ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. It's too bad this one didn't work out for you. I love it for my skin type which is more oily combo but we all have our different needs. :-)

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I've always wanted to try a Nars foundation! Can't decide whether to invest in this one or not.


    Georgina x | petite thoughts

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I'd say go for the Sheer Glow instead. Wish I had bought that one ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. I'm so in two minds about this! A few people seem to find it clings to dry patches but at the same time I like the idea of something weightless but long-lasting xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Haha yes I was torn too before I bought it. Still, even! It's okay but I think for the same money there are better foundations out there ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. Haha of course, there are plenty of great foundations at the drugstore!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. I haven't tried any NARS foundation but i think i will have to. Great review

    lisa | lisaxbeauty

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. ooh this is interesting, I think I would prefer the nars sheer glow but all are quite expensive for a 15 year old!
    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. I remember your review on it, could it be that it was on your post that I was in doubt? because as you say I read a lot of good reviews, then I saw a few lesser ones and I just really wanted to see for myself. It's okay to me, but it's not the best one I've ever had ;) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. I do think I would like this finish...but just not the texture. So I am torn haha.

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. I feel the same about this foundation, I like it but not love it and actually personally prefer the L'Oreal Infallible one. Such a shame as it's so expensive and it had so many great reviews after it was released and I did hoped it would impressed me. x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. you're welcome! Well I don't mind using my sponge for this but I've never really liked using that one in general because it seemed to take away the coverage of the foundation/concealer. Strangely it doesn't so much with this one, so I'm okay with it ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. I really wanted to try this foundation but no one seems to be completely happy with it - such a shame! It does look great once it's applied but like you I prefer brushes to sponges and so I won't be purchasing this! Thanks for a thorough and honest review anyway! :)
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. I think I figured out what it was yesterday but I'm not sure yet. I received a sample of a moisturizer from Clinique but it was for dry skin, the lady at the shop said I might wanted to use it in the summer on dry patches so I did. I have acne prone combination-oily skin so I think it reacted to that. I won't be using that one ever again ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. Ooooh looks amazing, thanks for sharing I am in love with this post<3 thanks for sharing:) Do you want to support each other's blog by following each other?:) Please let me know if you do so I can follow you right back x

    kisses

    http://www.theclosetelf.com/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  18. If this is the cause of your breakouts then you can return it, just say it reacted to your skin! I really hope that it isn't though! Lovely review though!

    Heather, PorcelainBeauty xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  19. Thanks! Yeah I think it's important to give honest reviews, something might work for someone while it doesn't work for someone else. Maybe you can go to the counter and ask if they do your make up with it? Is that possible, so you can try it out?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  20. I've not tried any NARS products myself...it does look like it gives good coverage and suits you really well. Great review on the product, and glad it works well with the powders/bronzer. You look lovely! :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  21. I was so intrigued when this first came out and absolutely wanted to get it, but then I keep reading these meh-reviews on it. The formula seems to be very special and kinda hard to work with. I probably won't get it. Great review though, love the pictures!

    www.sevenminsblog.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen