Beauty Dupe Challenge

10:00

Hello beautiful!

Today is an exciting post for me as I have never done anything like this before (I think). I had seen this post a while back on Jasmin Talks Beauty and I thought it was such a fun challenge to do! She did a full face of high end make up, then tried to find a drugstore dupe for every product in the routine she used, then compared the total prices of both looks. Basically it's a full dupe-face to achieve a similar look than the high-end face.

I really liked the idea of it so I decided to try it myself!


Left is the drugstore look, right is the high-end look



High-end products used:

Nars Luminous Weightless foundation
Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer
Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow powder Marinière No.02 bronzer
Chanel Jardin De Chanel blush
Mac Charcoal Brown (brows)
Urban Decay Hustle (10th shade in Naked palette)
The Balm Schwing eyeliner
Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara
Too Faced Melted Liquid Lipstick in Melted Nude

€300



Drugstore dupes:

l'Oréal Infallible 24H Matte foundation
Maybelline Fit Me concealer
The Body Shop Honey Bronzer 03 Medium Matte
Maxfactor Creme Puff Blush in Seductive Pink
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige (brows)
l'Oréal Color Riche eyeshadow in Lumière - Quartz Fumé
NYC Liquid Liner
Maybelline The Colossal Volum'Express Smoky Eye
Rimmel Kate Nude 43

€100


The rundown:

The foundations I used were told to be similar when the Nars one first came out. I really liked the l'Oréal one so I was excited to try the Nars Luminous Weightless one. I don't think they are similar in terms of how they apply, but I can see how they seem a bit similar in finish. I actually prefer the l'Oréal one though, because it has more coverage.

For concealer it was just a case of finding the drugstore one that matches the Urban Decay one best, because I don't have any other high-end concealers. Both are very creamy, but the Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer just lasts a lot longer during the day and feels a bit less heavy as well. But they look quite similar when first applied.

The bronzers I used are actually very similar. As you know, I very much prefer the Chanel one because it just gives a bit of a glow (I think because of the SPF) while the The Body Shop one is more mattifying, but the shade of the Honey Bronzer is very similar to the Chanel Healthy Glow. A very good dupe in my opinion.

For blush I just searched for the shades closest to each other. I think the Maxfactor one is a very similar shade to my Chanel one, but it's a bit more shimmery, where as the Chanel one is a bit more matte. I really like both though. They both give you that deep rosy cheek which I absolutely love!

Then on my brows I used something I never really do. I have mentioned in an earlier post (I have no clue which one) that I found out you can just as well use the Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige as a brow pommade. I tried that once, but actually re-discovered it while doing this, as I didn't really have another drugstore eyeshadow I could use on my brows. The shade is definitely softer than Mac Charcoal brown, but sometimes I don't want my brows to be so harsh looking, so I'll definitely start reaching for Creamy Beige!

I adore both eyeshadows I used a lot and I really didn't realise I already had a shade like the l'Oréal Quartz Fumé in my collection. Urban Decay Hustle is almost identical, it's only a bit more pigmented so you need less, but you can create the same intensity if you build up the l'Oréal one. I don't use Hustle a lot, but I'll definitely reach for it more often now I discovered it's actually really pretty on me!

I tried to compare the only two actual liquid liners I have in my collection, but boy are they different! I actually think the NYC one is easier to apply, although it's a brush, it works rather well. The The Balm Schwing is more difficult to get off if you make a little mistake. That being said, Schwing stays put all day without smudging, transferring or fading and it's super black! The NYC Liquid Liner tends to blend in with the shadow underneath a bit more, so it's not as black. You decide what's best. Sometimes I like it to blend in, but sometimes I don't. It's really about what I prefer for a certain look.

For mascara I have used my two latest additions to the collection. You know, the Too Faced Better Than Sex is way more intense, but if you wipe off the brush a bit so it doesn't have too much product on there, it separates the lashes beautifully, just like the Maybelline one, which  can also be built up to the intensity of the Too Faced one. They really work two ways and I love them both a lot. Maybe I do prefer the Maybelline one after using them both a lot!

Last but not least I took two quite similar shades on the lips, but they are both different formulas so they're not an exact dupe for each other. I love the Rimmel Kate 43 a lot, but I really prefer the lightweight texture of the Too Faced Melted. Also, the Too Faced is just a tad darker, which makes it look a bit more natural nude than the Rimmel one, which is more of a peachy nude. Both are really gorgeous, again, it's about what I prefer for a certain look.


All in all I think I did great at finding similar products within my own collection. It's not easy though, but I'm happy with the result. Silly how you can create a very similar look with only 1/3 of the money, right? If you search really well, you can always find good dupes for high-end products, especially when it comes to eyeshadows, liners, mascaras and lip products!


Normally I would ask you a question right now, but I really don't know what I could ask about this. Just let me know what you think of this post, I guess? Do you think I did well?



Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

6 reacties

  1. ah what Fabulous idea for a post! I think you did so well!! Love the look you created x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. all thanks to Jasmine, I thought it was so fun to do myself, but I couldn't not give her credit for it, as it wasn't my original idea ;)
    thank you! I am really chuffed with it too! x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I was so amazed to see these were so similar! I didn't even know I had a colour like this in my collection beforeI bought the l'Oréal one. Weird, huh? Although I love my Naked palette a lot :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. This was a really fun post to read! I remember reading Jasmine's too. I think this just proves that you shouldn't feel bad if you can't afford high end products too, as no one can actually tell how expensive the makeup you're wearing is - you can create something that looks almost identical for a third of the money like you said. But it's also lovely to have more expensive and 'special' products too :)
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Ah such a great post! Emily Noel has a couple of videos where she does half her face drugstore and half high end, so cool to see how similar the products are! The eye shadows you used look spot on!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. ah yes, I think it's great to see how similar of a look you can create with just drugstore products! But you know me, I like me some high end ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen