Eyeshadow Primers: Worth Your Pennies?

10:00

Hey gorgeous!

So, as you may or may not know, I love eyeshadows. As you also may or may not know, I struggle with keeping them from creasing because my eyelids are the oiliest of them all. I have tried a few eyeshadow primers now and wanted to let you know my experience with them. If you struggle with the same thing as me, I hope it will give you some insight.


The first one I ever tried is the Benefit Stay Don't Stray primer. It's coloured, so it can smooth out your eyelids if you have some visible veins on there, but it's also supposed to lock your eyeshadow in place and prevent it from creasing.

Now, I have heard many people rave about this, Shannon from Shaaanxo really loves it. I personally don't get on with it. I don't even know what this product does, it just sits on my eyelid and starts creasing itself. I mean, how can that ever lock my eyeshadow in place? At £20.50 this was not a cheap one to try out. I personally wouldn't recommend it if you have oily eyelids.

The next one I got to try was the Urban Decay Primer Potion. I never really bought the full size, but the Naked palettes came with these testers of four different ones: Original, Sin, Eden and Anti-Aging. I tried out Sin first for New Year's Eve and I packed on a ton of eyeshadows. It did a great job at pro-longing the wear of my eyeshadows, but I think a lot of it came from layering the eyeshadows. I tried them out after tat with just a natural look and I was surprised it didn't work the second time. I mean, how was that even possible? It managed to stay put for a good 6 hours at New Year's, but can't stay put on a regular day? I'm still confused as to how this could happen, but yeah, it has kind of put me off of using it again.

The Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a mini that came inside a kit with four absolute Too Faced best sellers. I'm glad I'm finally able to try it out because everyone and their mum raves about it. Now I'm not too impressed with it, but I must be honest, I haven't tried it A LOT yet. It's kind of the same thing as with the Primer Potion, I think it's better to set it with a ton of eyeshadow so it locks down.

The one that has worked best for me so far is the Nars Pro Prime Smudge Proof eyeshadow base. It's a clear one so it doesn't get rid of veins, but it does smooth out your eyelids a little bit. I wore it with the Maybelline Color Tattoo the other day, piled with a few other shadows. It actually stayed in place the whole night! Again, I think it was mainly because other eyeshadows locked it down. If I wear it with only one or two layers on top, it does still crease. Too bad, because I really had high hopes for this one...


Conclusion: Eyeshadow primers don't entirely work for me, unless I pile on ten thousand eyeshadows and maybe throw in a cream eyeshadow first. I wish there was a solution for my oily-lid-problem, I really hate when I put in 15 minutes of my time to get my eyes right, then it smudges after a few hours... If only...

I will continue my search, if anyone of you knows one that's not one of these four, do let me know down below! As you can see, I'm desparate...


Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

14 reacties

  1. Oh maybe I should try out that one! Thanks! xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I love the NARS one, but Laura Mercier makes a great one too!

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Yeah it works sometimes, if I pile on a lot of eyeshadows. If I want to keep it quite natural with only one or two shades, it just creases nonetheless. Too bad though, I really wanted that one to work!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I've got oily skin too and used to find my eyeshadow would slide all over the place and crease up after a couple of hours. I recently bought the Urban Decay Primer Potion and it works great for me. Hope you find a solution :) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Oh that one I have never tried! Maybe I should give it a go ;) x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. ahahahahahaha well that's when you know it's good! :D I don't know, maybe I should try to combine some long-lasting products. I think, like I said in the post, the Nars one combined with a Color Tattoo make a pretty firm base and that one has lasted me the longest so far. Maybe Urban Decay's Primer Potion works better that same way, or with a cream shadow stick or whatever. I'm just going to experiment a bit more, because I don't know which other primer would be more powerful than the Nars one!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. yeah well I do that too sometimes, my eyelids are so oily that the concealer already creases before I can even start doing my eyes. Normally after I put on concealer, I powder, to bronzer/blush/highlighter and my eyebrows. By the time I finish the brows, the concealer already slipped off :( so weird right? I think I have a problem LOL :D x

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. ah, yes, I've heard about them but never tried them. I figured they were pretty much the same as the Maybelline Color Tattoos, only more expensive. Those don't work on their own for me either, they extend the wear but don't prevent it from creasing... Maybe I should try one of the paint pots anyways ;) thanks for the tip!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. It's a shame primer isn't really for you as I find it an absolute essential, otherwise my eyeshadow creases or wears off so quickly! My favourite is about £2 from Elf :) xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty | High-End Palette Giveaway

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. It's weird because I have really oily skin that includes oily eyelids and creasing eyeshadow was a nightmare for years for me until I tried out the urban decay primer potion, I've never turned back, my eye makeup lasts all day and all night with it! I've even fallen asleep drunk and my eye makeup has still looked perfect the next morning haha!

    Just Little Things xo

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. I've been using Urban Decay primers for more than 5 years now and it's the best I've ever tried so far. Too bad it didn't work out for you, maybe my eyelids are not that oily. How about using MAC's paint pot as a primer?

    A whole lot of serendipity

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. I bought the too faced shadow insurance like 3 years ago but never really used it, maybe my lids are not so oily, so I don't find that my shadows crease anyway. The only thing I do is putting a bit of concealer just to make everything more even! :) x

    www.thecovetbeauty.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. Yeah if I really want to go all out and I want it to stay, I will use all three as well: usually the Nars primer, then a cream shadow, then a ton of powder shadow on top ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. I'm very similar to you! I have super oily lids and my eyelids fold over each other quite a bit so their very prone to creasing. I find the only thing that really works is layering a primer, cream shadow and powder shadow on top. I'm currently using the Too Faced one and I wasn't too impressed with it, I find it works okay if I set it all with a nude shadow before doing the rest. I really want to try the NARS one though!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen