Save or Splurge?

10:00

Hey peeps!

Today I want to do a little drugstore vs. high end kind of post. We always see a lot of high end products pass by on multiple blogs, but sometimes you just really don't want to spend all your money on something that's just as good on the drugstore. I'll give you a run down on where I think you should save or splurge.


Skincare: 
This is the most important step in your routine. Take care of your skin because you only have one! If your skin doesn't feel great, your make up won't look great. I'm going with splurge on this one.
e.g. Clinique, Kiehl's

Base:
I'm always pro-drugstore foundation and concealers, because for me it's easier to test out a €12 foundation at the drugstore than a €40 high end one, and still not being sure if it's going to break me out or not. I think if you have really sensitive skin and you've found a great high end foundation/concealer, you should most definitely stick to that one. Otherwise: just go and check out all the amazing foundations at the drugstore!
e.g. l'Oréal, Maybelline, Collection, Rimmel

Powders:
Definitely save. There are so many great powders for such little money. I can't ever spend a lot of money on something you can't even see on my face. If I count bronzers as a powder, maybe with high end ones it's easier to find really natural ones, but the drugstore is stepping up their bronzing game lately.
e.g. Rimmel, Bourjois, l'Oréal, The Body Shop

Blushes:
For me, this is a splurge one. I love high end blushes and I feel like when you pay more, they actually stay on better during the day and are less powdery and chalky. (MaxFactor Creme Puff is the only exception at the drugstore, for me!)
Mac, Nars, Hourglass, Tarte

Brows:
Splurge. If you find one product that works really great for you, you'll only have to buy it after a loooong time. I've been using my Mac Charcoal Brown for ages and it hasn't even hit pan.
e.g. Mac, Anastasia

Eyeshadows:
Splurge, most definitely! I've never came across an eyeshadow that really compares to a high end one so far, in terms of pigmentation, butteriness, blendability and staying power. You know I'm a sucker for high end eyeshadows!
e.g. Mac, Urban Decay

Eyeliner & mascara:
Total save! I really think there are a lot of great eyeliners at the drugstore and mascara, well, I've used mascaras from the drugstore that are way better than some high end ones.
e.g. Maybelline (mascara), l'Oréal (eyeliner)

Lip products:
A save for me. I'm not that into lip products anyways and I'm going to have to re-apply during the day anyways so it really doesn't matter to me if a more expensive one stays put for a bit longer.
e.g. Rimmel, Essence



What do you think about some of these: Save or Splurge? Let me know down below!

Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

25 reacties

  1. can't wait to hear your opinion on it ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Mood exposure!!! Perfect for A/W time!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Oooh! So exciting! Which shade did you go for?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I just ordered Hourglass blush and I'm so excited to try it out! I heard so many people talking about how good they are! :) xx

    www.thecovetbeauty.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I love having a good mix of both, I can't NOT buy high end make up, they lure you in with their campagnes and pretty packaging and, just, I want it all. ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. This is such a great post! I know it's always amazing to have some high end products! I was delighted when I got my first Mac lipstick but there are definitely cheaper and really great alternatives on the drugstore when it comes to lipsticks and mascaras! I love Maybelline mascaras and Essence and Rimmel lipsticks too! Xx


    riitamacedo.blogspot.pt

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Ah, well, there we go! I think it's interesting too ;) we all have our preferences!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. I think if I ever get into lip products more, I will definitely try out some high end ones (the Mac ones will be the first one to try, I'm sure!)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Really enjoyed reading this post. Isn't it funny seeing how we all differ when it comes to makeup preferences? Personally, I will always splurge on foundation and concealer, but rely on the drugstore for blush dupes, mascaras and eyeshadows!xx

    Laura | Lala London: Beauty & Lifestyle

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. There are a lot of good drugstore options so sure that's always the first place to look when you're up for something new. Although the hype around some high end products is what pulls me in everytime, plus I'm such a sucker for packaging!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. i agree, eyeshadows are definitely worth the splurge - i love the UD naked palettes and the smashbox full exposure! lip products are a splurge for me as well even though i do buy drugstore ones, i love the rimmel kate moss ranges x

    http://lovejordanashley.blogspot.co.uk

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. I agree that skincare should always be as much of a splurge as you can afford! I think I feel the same about most of the categories - it's always nice to have high end products for 'special occasions' but I do wear drugstore makeup mostly!
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  13. I love having a good mix of both, although I wouldn't know how my love for eyeshadows would've grown if I never tried high end ones!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  14. This was a great post, I enjoyed reading it, such a good idea! Thanks for the help by the way, as I don't have the money for high-end products, so I just stick to drug store! I deffo agree that drugstore mascaras are amazing!
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  15. What a lovely idea for a post! I completely agree with every choice you made :)

    alexandraabeauty.blogspot.com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  16. For me skincare, base and lip products are splurge. My reason is kinda odd.. I feel like I always accidentally 'eat' my lipsticks while eating with lipstick on...so perhaps the more expensive ones have safer ingredients?.(don't laugh lol I know it doesn't make sense..) For me eyeshadow, liner and mascara are totally saves, there are so many great drugstore eye makeup! :)

    xo, Jessie | Bear and Berries

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  17. Absolutely love posts like these, and you do a great one! loved this xx

    http://tashaforrest.blogspot.co.uk/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  18. I think if you really love lipsticks, you totally can splurge with all the high end options (especially Mac!) I think that's just a matter of preference ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  19. I definitely agree with lots of these! I always save on concealers, powders and mascaras! But I love to splurge on eyeshadows and blushes and also lipsticks. But there are many amazing lip products from the drugstore x

    Beauty Girl

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  20. They are just the best ;) I swear by Maybelline mascaras!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  21. I am definitely one of those women who refuses to by many if any high end products ... I love this post Charline it really helps me try and find more affordable options!! I love Maybelline mascara they just bring out great quality mascaras

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen