Bittersweet goodbyes

10:00

Hey guys,

I was not planning on doing a post today. I'm typing this late in the evening right before this post goes up. I've not done a post as spontaneous as this one in a very, very long time.

After a short introduction I'll come to what I want to talk (or rather, type) about. Let me explain.


After being in the UK for almost 8 months now, some people think I'm actually a Mancunian. Other people might have trouble distinguishing where exactly I'm from, but I can proudly say 80% of all people I meet think I was born in the UK. Yes, I've almost mastered a Northern accent.

I really wanted some proof of my English level. I'm going to attempt to do the Cambridge Proficiency Exam on the 1st of December, so I thought it would be a good idea to go back to the language course I did in June. I need good preparation for the exam, and definitely need to improve my vocab and writing skills.


Now the real point of this post.


In the language school, people come and go every week all the time. Some people stay for a few weeks, others for a few months. Ever since going to school in June I've made a lot of friends. A lot of these friends have already left Manchester. Some are good acquaintances that I'm only friends with on facebook now, some I will send a text to once in a while to see how they are doing.

But a handful of people, I was very close with. A handful of people I really really cared about. And still do. These people I still speak to on a daily basis. Some were only here for 6 weeks, others I've been close with for months.


It's hard to keep in touch with people that live in another city (like one of my friends, who moved to Cambridge and I will see again very soon!), another country (like my very good friend from Switzerland who I'm sure I will see in the future, as it's not too far from Belgium), and even harder to stay close to people that live on the other side of the world (like my dear friend from Chile. When it's afternoon here, he's just waking up in the early morning.) Man, do I miss these people.


I'm having a bit of a meh week this week. Someone that I've been friends with from the beginning of my journey with the language school, left Manchester last weekend. After 4 months, he's traveling around in Europe for two weeks, then he's back on his way to Japan. Fricking. Japan.


We've been friends for over 4 months now. We've only gotten closer over the past 2 months I would say. Definitely when he was the last one of my good friends that was still around, I was kind of depending on him all the time and felt like he was the only one I had left. We did spend a lot of time together the last few weeks, as I went back to school when he was still there, I took him to all the places he still wanted to visit before he left, and so on.


Man, does it suck to say goodbye to a friend like that. It sucks balls.


It's been almost a week since he left. I keep saying "he left" as if he left me alone to die, but that's not what I mean. I knew he was going back to Japan on that specific date since I met him, but the closer it got, the harder it was not to start crying every time I said "see you tomorrow". Because soon it would be the last "see you tomorrow". And then on Saturday morning, it was. And then the weekend just sucked. And Monday sucked a lot. And then on Wednesday I started crying in school again. And now it's Thursday and I have tears in my eyes while I'm writing this. God, I miss my friend.


I'm not trying to make a point with this post at all. I felt like maybe writing it down would help me give these thoughts a place. As right now, I don't feel like I have a place left to put it. It feels like my head is full and there is no empty drawer to put these thoughts in. And if I don't do that very soon, I might make myself very depressed. I don't want to be depressed about it. I want to have happy thoughts when I think about my friends. Not sad thoughts.


If you made it to this point, thanks for not going TL;DR. This post is more for myself than it is for anyone else. 

To end it on a positive note, I'll leave you with a wonderful quote:




Lots of love,
Charline
xoxo




Follow

You Might Also Like

0 reacties